contributed and modified by Traci
from http://www.recipezaar.com/
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup white sugar
2 egg whites (or one whole egg)
3/4 cup applesauce
1. Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Add egg whites, applesauce and vanilla.
2. Mix all other ingredients in a separate smaller bowl and add to the wet ingredients in the large bowl. Do NOT overmix!
3. Spray 8x8 dish with PAM and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Makes 16 brownies.
before the modifications, the nutrition facts state that this recipe has 1.8g of fat per serving and 147 calories. But then I modify it.
Traci's modifications: I added a few chocolate chips. I also put a thin glaze on top a few minutes after taking it out of the oven. I made the glaze by melting 1 tablespoon of butter. then I added 3 heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar and a 1 heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder and then milk until I achieved the right consistency. I then spread the glaze on the brownies. For being low-fat, these brownies were pretty tasty! Plus a lot of the reviews said they tasted better the second day. I guess they kind of did.
TIP: I doubled the recipe and made a 9 x 13 pan of them. Then, I cut the brownies into squares/rectangles, and wrapped each square in a piece of plastic wrap and then a piece of foil. I then put the brownies in a ziploc in the freezer. This way I didn't eat them all at once and they are actually very tasty frozen. They were also a quick treat for Gary to take in his lunches. That one pan lasted us several weeks in the freezer, a small miracle indeed :) (I won't hypothesize how long they would have lasted had I not frozen them...)
4-30-09
Okay so I made these again tonight and doubled them and I'm pretty sure that 1.5 times the recipe would have been sufficient to fill the 9 x 13 pan.
This blog is a collection of my recipes and the recipes of other family members that I love and always have to call and ask for. Please, family, feel free to contribute your yummy recipes. Remember to add labels so we can find the recipes later, where you got the recipe and any modifications you make on your own. Also, if you remember, next time you make a recipe on this blog, take a picture! And then add it to the recipe post.
P.S. Some recipes I would love to see on this blog are: secret sauce, rolls, chocolate pie (mom Cox), peanut butter bars, poppy seed chicken casserole stuff, funeral potatoes (mom Huntington), meat pockets (Aubrey, so I still have this one, but others don't), and other classics, you know what they are :).
P.S. Some recipes I would love to see on this blog are: secret sauce, rolls, chocolate pie (mom Cox), peanut butter bars, poppy seed chicken casserole stuff, funeral potatoes (mom Huntington), meat pockets (Aubrey, so I still have this one, but others don't), and other classics, you know what they are :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Low fat brownies? Could there really be such a thing!?!
Post a Comment